[humanser] Blind people and issues around expressions of sexuality, etc.

Carmella D Broome cdbroome at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 7 13:58:01 UTC 2009

Jonathan,

I think it is the right forum if the discussion is  clinical.   JD has an
interesting research idea as far as wondering how blind couples  or
individuals deal withissues such as this one.   How often are such matters
addressed in adjustment to blindness counseling or training?  I suspect not
much or often.  It is a reality that many people  feel less confident or
less whole when they loose their vision or when they have  been blind since
birth but  have to come to grips with the impact this has on their lives as
adults.  Blind people are sexual beings  like everyone else.  There are a
lot of clinically relevant directions this  discussion could go in.

Personally, as an MFT, I discuss sexual issues with  couples and individuals
fairly often and  that does include being asked my opinion of  the use of
sex toys and other additions, as well as  having to educate people  about a
lot of basic stuff.  As far as JD's question here, my solution was to
email him off list and suggest he compile responses and then summarize them.
Reason being that  this list has archives that can be  publicly viewed and
the topic is one that can be personal as well as professional.   I suppose
it is controversial in the sense that  everyone has different comfort levels
when discussing sexual topics also and what is offensive to one is not to
another.  Of course, people can always delete if they're uncomfortable.  I
think there is probably a lack of research about blind  people and sexuality
issues, but I do know of some.

We're all adults here  who are intelligent and  can carry on a  civilized
conversation, I think.

Carmella