[humanser] looking for first job

Quinto Sanchez sanchezq at prodigy.net
Thu Aug 27 00:38:18 UTC 2009

Hello list,
    I need you alls help and in particular those who are already working in the counseling profession. I wish I would of found this list before when I was just starting my schooling because I see a lot of good information I could of used. However, I chose to get a degree in Community Counseling AKA mental health counseling. I have been looking for work but, most of the non-profits want you to go out in the field and counsel at their homes. And community hospitals from what I've seen don't hire Counselors just Social Workers. I've tried the state agencies as a VR counselor, colleges and others I have had a couple of interviews but, no luck. So how did you all find your first job? Do you all have any suggestions for me I would greatly appreciate it. My immediate thought is to volunteer doing counseling so that I can get my hrs. to be fully licensed since right now I have an LPC-I and when I'm fully licensed then to open my practice. Is this a reasonable agenda? Thanks in advance.

Quinto