[humanser] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind'sguidedog policy does not discriminate

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 22 01:06:36 UTC 2009

James,
    In my opinion, it's not a matter of the white cane being "superior";
rather, it is a matter of fundamental basic skills. Though every guide dog
school says they require O&M skills prior to training with a guide dog, the
practical application of this policy seems to fall well short of reality.
The white cane is the foundation of good O&M skills, thus the reason guide
dog schools at least assert they require it. Furthermore, there are numerous
situations in which a cane is the better choice for mobility than a guide
dog,e.g., roller skating, fishing on a crowded boat, inclement weather.
concerts, fairs, and visiting someone in their home where a dog may not be
welcome because of allergies or just the desire to not have a dog in the
home, to name just a few. In addition, if the dog becomes ill and the
handler does not have cane travel skills, the person is unable to maintain
independence and will not be able to go out!
    I'm not sure if it was on this list or not, but I made the following
analogy of the importance of having options for mobility. A carpenter learns
to use a hammer, but the carpenter cannot build a house with only a hammer.
If the carpenter says, "I don't want to learn to use the saw, the level, the
plumb bob, or any of the other tools of the trade, they will not be a very
good carpenter. I know many guide dog users who refuse to use a cane and
make many irrational statements about their guide dog, such as, "If a person
doesn't want my dog in their house, they don't want me in their house!" I
believe they have given the dog so much importance that they have lost their
independence without it. They may not have good mobility skills with the
cane and, for this reason, may not want to use it because they feel
self-conscious with it. I know several people who refuse to use a cane and
severely limit themselves and their potential because they limit the tools
they are willing to use.
    A training center, such as the Iowa Commission for the Blind and the NFB
centers are justified in their assertion that guide dog users need to take
part in their O&M training! It cannot be assumed that, just because someone
uses a guide dog, they have good O&M skills. Now, if the guide dog schools
really did demand that a person have good white cane travel skills, that may
be a different story. Then again, what would "good white cane travel skills"
be? Just as those who attend NFB centers get O&M training, whether they have
already had it or not, guide dog users must engage in the same program. It
is part and parcel to their program. If they let someone choose which parts
of the program they will participate in and which they will not, the entire
program would be less effective because there would be no consistency.
Without this consistency, the program would be viewed less favorably because
no one would be able to determine which parts of the program were
implemented and which were not.
    I alluded to taking classes in an earlier message. I once wrote a very
controversial letter to the editor of my university newspaper because
another blind student in my program claimed that, because of his blindness,
he should be exempt from taking statistics. I argued that doing so devalued
my degree, since others who see that I graduated from the same program could
wonder whether or not I received an adequate education. If a student at a
particular center was able to pick and choose which part of the training to
participate in, would that not call into question the very efficacy of the
training?

Fraternally,
Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users