[humanser] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind's guide dog policy does not discriminate

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 23 16:09:09 UTC 2009

James,
    First of all, let me make it very clear....I am a male! (smile)
    Now, I hope to answer your questions. My point of using the analogy of a
hammer as the fundamental tool of a carpenter was to say that a carpenter
cannot build a house with only that one tool. Your comparison of a nail gun
to a guide dog is quite interesting and, I suppose a little accurate;
however, it also allows me to further make the point that an apprentice
carpenter would not begin to learn the skills of carpentry by using a nail
gun. Similarly, a nail gun may not be the most appropriate tool to replace a
hammer in every circumstance, so an apprentice who never learned how to use
a hammer, always opting to use only a nail gun,  would probably not be a
skilled carpenter. Since I am not a carpenter, I couldn't tell you what
specific applications would be inappropriate for a nail gun rather than a
hammer, but I could see that perhaps some very delicate work might require a
different tool. Also, I'm not sure if a nail gun can remove a nail, but i
know a hammer can!
    Now, for your question about my choice to use a guide dog rather than a
white cane, I'm not sure where you got the statistic you mentioned of me
using a guide dog 90% of the time. I actually currently use my guide dog
10-20% of the time, as she is semi-retired. However, let me continue my
analogy of a carpenter. Another fundamental skill of a carpenter is the use
of a saw. Most carpenters I have seen seem to use an electric saw. However,
the hand saw is the fundamental skill. Again, I'm not a carpenter, so my
understanding is very limited and only intended to help explain.
    Guide dog users must have some fundamental skills to effectively use a
guide dog. Unfortunately, too many guide dog users do not have these
fundamental skills and too many guide dog schools don't really require them.
    I would also like to say that, even if someone who had already received
O&M instruction from somewhere else would go to this or any other quality
center with a similar policy, they would most likely receive cane travel
skill training. Of course, they could argue that they already had the
training, but it probably would not make a difference. I know this is so at
all of the NFB training centers and is probably true for the Iowa center,
too.
    NAGDU is planning to have a panel discussion of this policy at our
national convention, so I hope those of you interested in this issue will
come and hear what they have to say. Watch the list for more information.
Fraternally,
Mr. marion Gwizdala