[humanser] congrats / reader

Julie Russell jar90880 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 2 13:53:57 UTC 2009

Ronit,

I am so excited for you!  What a happy way to start the new year.  Your work
and dedication paid off - maybe a little luck.  How does that saying go -
when luck runs out you better in the end be good?.  I am not sure but it
sounds like the time placed in making contacts was indeed your previous work
in the field.

I hired readers for two jobs and when I was preparing for my clinical exam.
By the time I took my clinical exam in Maryland my reader had become my
friend.
I would never hire a friend for the job and never hire a co-worker.  While
my reader for clinical did become a friend this meant some days we went for
manicures instead of reading.  Sometimes we went to the Ommish market for
cheese instead of reading.  Not ideal - in part I believe the setting (my
apartment) led to this and similar personalities.

The few jobs I have needed a reader for I hired someone from grad school at
a local university.  One time I was involved in a case heavy in background
litigation with a psych MD and I hired a law student.  This person had no
mutual friends and no social connections.  We met at my office and I was
paid for the time.
That is something reader on your time or time you will be paid for?  One
thought to ponder.

Also I find grad students slightly more in tune with confidentiality than
some others and smart enough to handle complex words.
Some material I have had recorded by a reader to review later and at other
times I recorded parts of the material.  At times I made notes directly into
electronic format.

A note is a reader counts as a disability related work expense.  So if you
have SSA benefits for blindness or plan to itemize your taxes keep careful
notes.

How many people have gotten that first job from contacts I wonder - any
comments?  I know I did.  While the job was a nightmare it led to better
jobs.  Also I am thinking I may be able to go to Detroit this year.  I would
love to have a chance to meet so many of you.

Ronit, I am just so very happy for you.

Happy 2009 to all of you!

Julie Russell, LCSW
New Orleans