[humanser] tips for practicum

JD TOWNSEND 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 7 16:07:18 UTC 2010

Hello Jeannie:

Welcome to the amazing world of agencies and congratulations on advancing in
your career.

Some general suggestions:

1    Get there before the work begins and get yourself well oriented.
Especially find the more important places, rest rooms, water fountains,
break rooms, lobby and treatment rooms.  Avoiding the guide to these places
gives us some confidence and shows our competence to others.
2    Figure out in advance, well as much in advance as possible, the
chartwork that will be required, more than you wish is a certainty.  If you
can obtain blank copies of their forms you will save time later on,
depending on your best method of form completion.

3    Have fun and use your anxiety coping skills.  Every student is anxious,
but the ones who can use their sense of humor are enjoyed by all.

4    The staff are just people with their own issues.  Look at them with the
same eyes you might see your clients instead of looking at them as superior
beings.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System