[humanser] Dealing with blindness when applying to internships

Karen Rose rosekm at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 18:25:08 UTC 2010

Hi, Milissa and All:  Oh, how I had hoped these issues on the part of
supervisors had gone away by now.  I am a totally blind therapist in Ca. in
practice since 1984.  Way back in the day, I got asked questions like this
in interviews, and always answered that Freud never made eye contact with
his patients--he was sitting behind them.  (Not that I'm all that
traditionally psychoanalytic in orientation--that answer just seemed to make
professors have to reflect.

In my first few years of practice, when working in clinic situations, I
would often raise the question of blindness by the end of the second session
if the client had not done so, just to make the topic safe.  In the
beginning, I would offer them the opportunity to work with a sighted
therapist if they felt uncomfortable with me after the second sessions.
Because supervisors had been so concerned with the issue, I actually counted
the number of clients who took me up on this.  The number was twelve, in
fourteen years of practice.  Now, I've stopped this practice, as I am in
fulltime private practice and can no longer offer this to clients, but it
appears that very, very few of them care.  Clients are interested in both
feeling better and getting better.  They are in pain about their own issues,
and mostly couldn't care less about ours.

I think that blindness, like any other characteristic of a therapist, can be
used as a Rorashach card--an object onto which projections may be made--and
this can be useful in therapy.  I often get the projection, "It's wonderful
that you can't see me.  You won't judge me on the way I look, llike everyone
does."  (Actually, this tells me that not "everyone," but this client, makes
such judgements.)  Or, I'll get the projection about having better hearing,
etc.  (I usually correct the better hearing one, and then talk about hoping
to be able to "hear" what the client is saying emotionally.)  There are lots
of ways of using blindness as a therapeutic tool.  Most of my examples come
from blindness, e.g., examples about fear and/or trust connecting with just
going forward and crossing streets anyway; examples of actually doing what
you want to rather than being blocked by "the odds being stacked against
you," or by "what society expects," etc., by using the example, "If I did
what was expected of me, or what I am "supposed to," I wouldn't be here,
since my group is seventy percent unemployed.  So why not go for what you
want, rather than what you think you can do, or what others have said is
available to you?"

Tell your potential supervisors, and professors too, that blindness is an
asset as a therapeutic tool when used well.

Karen Rose, MFT