[humanser] Dealing with blindness when applying to internships

Kathy McGillivray kjm at usfamily.net
Fri Feb 26 22:17:58 UTC 2010

I would want to hear more from the supervisor about his/her specific areas
of concern. How does anyone build a relationship with anyone? I think I
would say something like, "I've thought about this, but am wondering if you
have specific areas of concern." Or something like that. I like to tell the
story of my interview for my graduate school program in counseling
psychology. I asked the department chair if he had concerns about me being
able to pick up on nonverbal communication with my client. (He hadn't
brought it up in the interview.) He told me he didn't think vision was all
it's cracked up to be in therapy and didn't see it as a concern. This was a
guy who was in his late 50's at the time. It was not a concern to him. This
doesn't mean it isn't something to think about, but blind people have been
therapists for decades.

Of course, if there are specific things your instructor or supervisor are
concerned about or if they have specific feedback for you, you would want to
hear that. I hope you are able to put them at ease.

Kathy McGillivray