[humanser] 2010 NFB National Convention

Nicole Robinson nrobinson at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 9 02:32:50 UTC 2010

Hi  my name is Nicole

I thought it might be nice to find out who is planning to attend the NFB
National Convention this year in Dallas from July 3 to July 9.  My thoughts
are that maybe we can find a way to start communicating beforehand so that
when we get there the experience is more benefiticial and rewarding for ALL
of us.  My thought is that if everyone who is attending can write a little
BLOG (Just a couple of sentences/paragraphs about yourself.) Then when we
are all together for the workshop as professionals in the field (Apologized
for not knowing the correct wording, I think it is the Human Development
Workshop.  Right?) If we start to communicate beforehand then we  will be
one step ahead.  Even people who are not going to the National Convention
can enter act with us all.  Sound good?  I will start by giving a little bit
of personal as well as some professional information about myself (You can
share as much or as little as you choose. No pressure)  I am excited!  I
think this may be a lot of fun and a great way for our group to interact
beforehand, at convention and then even afterwards.

I will be attending the NFB National Convention 2010 in Dallas this year

My name is Nicole Robinson.  I just recently turned 40  but act much younger
and have a fun and care free attitude.  I began to lose my sight at age 7
due to a form of Macular Degeneration.  I could still drive at age 16 but
did not trust my sight and decided not to.  From that point my eyesight
declined pretty rapidly.

I think at 21 I actually started accepting the fact and was open to  using a
cane.  I learned JAWS and went onto college.  I am a single parent.  I live
in Austin, Texas..  I moved here from California with two babies in 2000.
Since then I have gone to Cris Cole Rehab Center and learned the skills I
needed to go back to college and finish.  After achieving my bachelors
degree from Ut in 2004, I got a full time job as a Licensed Social Worker.
I have been working for this agency advocating for disabled children for 6
years.  On top of working full time, taking 2 grad classes every semester
for the past 3 years I have also been a single Momma of 2.  I own my own
house here in Austin  and have just walked receiving my Masters Degree in
Social Work from UT on May 22, 2010.

I am currently  advocating for disabled children as well as  counseling at
the women's shelter which totals over 40hours a week. I absolutely love the
experience.  I need to take my licensing exam to be a LMSW and then move
forward to get my hours in to become a LCSW.

I look forward to meeting you all and am completely open to communicate with
each one of you before convention and even those who do not plan on
attending.  My e-mail address is:

nrobinson at mail.utexas.edu

Thank you.

Nicole Robinson LMSW Intern