[humanser] Ideas for career opportunities.

JD TOWNSEND 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 16 00:12:49 UTC 2011

Hello:

Steve Jacobson said it all.  Follow your dreams, not your disabilities.

My career has gone through many changes.  I have worked in factories,
directed a theater company, been a librarian, and for the past 30 years,
been a social worker.  I have a BA in Theater Arts and master degrees in
library science and social work;  post masters work as well in psychotherapy
and family therapy.  Within social work I have been a line worker, a
supervisor, and an administrator.  Within social work I have worked with
children, the elderly, the homeless, the addicted, the chronically mentally
ill, the chronically physically ill in nursing homes, and each population,
each job has been different.  It is all a part of the richness of the human
service field that draws us.

If speech pathology is interesting to you, then pursue it.  Meet the
blindness challenges and become a leader.  I spent a semester in a master's
program in speech pathology and left it for psychology because my interests
were more in that field;  however, nothing I encountered there made it
especially difficult for me as a blind person.

When I went to social work school there were no other blind students.  When
I   went to speech pathology school there were no other blind students.  The
teachers and students did not have a reasonable idea of what a blind person
can do or what we cannot do.  I believe that each of us is a teacher by our
example and each of us needs to develop our own program for making our
educations and professional fields work.

The career guidance office looks like a fine place to start.

Best of luck.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System