[humanser] Dealing with Disaster Trauma: How Behavioral Health Can Help

Serena Cucco serena.c.cucco at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 23:01:57 UTC 2012

On 7/27/12, Mary Ann Robinson <brightsmile1953 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Dealing with Disaster Trauma: How Behavioral Health Can Help
> By Linda Ligenza, LCSW, Clinical Services Director, National Council for
> Community Behavioral Healthcare
> Traumatic events such as the one that recently occurred in Aurora, Colorado
> have a significant impact on the individuals directly involved, their
> families and friends and the larger community surrounding the location where
> the event took place.
> The extent of the impact will depend on several factors including: how close
> the person was to the event (actually shot or wounded, in the theater but
> not hurt, in the theater
> next door, relative or friend of someone wounded, deceased or present in the
> theater); if the person has experienced previous trauma; the seriousness of
> the injury; loss of someone close; and the perception of the person
> involved, about the experience.
> A person's perception is a critical factor in how much of an impact the
> experience has on them; someone who was in the theater who was not shot
> but felt that their life was threatened may have more serious reactions than
> a person who was shot and injured.  Everyone reacts differently to the same
> event.
> The first responders, who were confronted with a chaotic, gruesome scene,
> are also at risk for adverse reactions;
> it is important to ensure that they have information and easily accessible
> and confidential resources available to them as well.
> Typical Reactions
> Typical reactions fall into four categories:
> emotional - such as shock, numbness, fear, anger, worry, sadness, and
> grief;
> physical - including headaches, stomachaches, fatigue (the most common);
> behavioral - such as crying, increased use of substances, agitation; and
> cognitive - which may include forgetfulness and confusion.  It is important
> to recognize that these reactions are expected after a traumatic event;
> these are normal or typical reactions to an abnormal event.
> Helpful Responses
> In the aftermath of such an event, behavioral health organizations can
> distribute informational and educational materials and resources to those
> affected when possible and to the public. Materials can be made
> available during public gatherings, through faith-based organizations, local
> religious and community groups and via websites, to name a few.
> Signs of Distress
> People affected by traumatic events may require a mental health evaluation
> and treatment when their reactions or symptoms become distressing. Distress
> can be identified by such signs as: inability to
> carry out daily functions; trouble with relationships; prolonged mourning of
> losses; diminished ability to cope or problem-solve; isolating behaviors and
> hopelessness; health problems; and uncertainty about the future. In
> children, we see regression to a younger
> [...]
Hi All,

First, I'd like to introduce myself to the list.  I'm Serena Cucco, an
MSW student at Rutgers University.  I'm really enjoying my coursework!
 This fall will be my last semester.  For those of you who know Carol
Castellano, I am her daughter.  Those of you who were at the Human
Services meeting at National Convention heard me contribute to the
really great discussion topics there.

Second, Mary Anne, the information you posted was quite educational
and informative.

Serena