[humanser] Work Woes

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 30 21:04:50 UTC 2012

Hello,

Lots happening at work over the past several months.  Thought I would bring
the list an update.

I am a Clinical Social Worker and, for the past 10+ years I have been
employed in a hospital-based child and adolescent mental health  service.

My employment started out fairly smoothly, but over the past few years
things have become more difficult.  I have a variety of blindness tools that
have helped me to be one of the most productive workers and enough
post-masters training to bring a clinical background to the position.

The problems started when management did not support my efforts to obtain a
reader.  Then our once type-written documentation started to be
hand-written, including our “to-do” lists.  Then, with a new manager and
supervisor, I started to get written disciplinary notes, also hand-written.
Three of these leads to disciplinary action such as suspensions and firing.

After the second disciplinary action I went to Human Resources.  Meetings
were arranged and my concerns were heard.

I did get a reader assigned.  She did not start as the hospital rules
demanded that she pass all sorts of hurdles and she declined to obtain a
misdemeanor report from over 20 years ago in another state.  I asked, but
did not get another.  My supervisor told me, “I don’t care how you do it,
just do it, “referring to chart reviews.

The last straw was a disciplinary write-up for 15 minutes of unauthorized
overtime.  My other write-ups were for minor paperwork problems.

Back to HR with no real satisfaction.

So, an attorney was hired.  He specializes in worker problems of
discrimination and knows disability law.  NFB’s legal folks were informed as
well.

My attorney wrote a letter to the big wigs at the hospital.  Now all of a
sudden my manager and supervisor are my helpful friends.  Apparently despite
my white cane and blindness electronics they did not understand that I am
blind.

I have a reader and secretarial support.  Management is getting ADA training
and I now have a regular reader, a retired teacher.

The lawyer cost a lot, but the letter was clear and got results.  I am now a
happily employed  man again.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Helping the Light Dependent to See.
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System