[humanser] Tips for preparing for field placement

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 3 19:06:58 UTC 2012

Hello Angelina,

I have supervised student internships for a wide variety of students,
including blind folks.  I only rejected one blind person - in our interview
he stated that he had left an engineering degree program for something
easier and had no "feel" for our field.

As a blind man I do have, perhaps, less bias than others;  however, what I
look for are:

Sincere interest in the field;
A good smile and a sense of humor;
Reliability and trustworthiness;  and
Excellent blindness skills.

The latter include good social skills, knowledgeable use of adaptive
equipment (practical, everyday use of devices), and, especially,
flexibility.

I have had my interviews myself and have had blind student interns who felt
that their internships were wasted time as they were only observers, not
allowed to do productive work.  Emphasize your ability to do the work of the
agency, be that doing assessments or running groups.  Your abilities in
forming relationships, writing skills, and assertiveness will put you in
good stead.

And, I suggest that you read some of the writings of Dr Kenneth Jernigan
from the NFB website as it was through these publications that I learned the
philosophy of the NFB.  That philosophy got me my first job following my MSW
degree and has not failed me in over 30 years of professional employment.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System