[humanser] Technology-Related Question For Those Employed In MentalHealth Professions

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 3 19:26:04 UTC 2012

Hi Dena,
I use lots of things in my practice of clinical social work.
I do my clinical notes on a PC using Window-Eyes and JAWS, each having their
strong points. Attached to the PC is a braille display purchased on e-bay.
Also on this PC is a scan and read program that gives me the ability to read
printed documents.
I take notes and keep my calendar on a BrailleNote Apex with a braille
display. With 7 or more appointments each day I couldn't live without the
planner. I also use this device as a database of my private patients and
supervisees. I take notes for Biopsychosocials and other documents on the
notetaker as well, using a braille keypad.
I have a CCTV and have just enough residual vision to locate places on forms
to sign my name; there are so many forms!
I have found no significant help from a K-NFB Reader.

In the past I made visits to people’s homes and I wish I had had access to a
GPS program at that time.  Now, I do use this device when traveling to
meetings, workshops and conferences.

Best of luck with your assignment.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.