[humanser] Examinations

JMassay jmassay1 at cox.net
Sun Aug 4 00:08:37 UTC 2013

All-

I understand about Mary's concerns due to a brain injury. I do not have one
but lost vision as an adult, have only used technology   in an educational
setting and my Braille skills are well., less than they should be (I'm
working on it!).  My ability to process information has not readily adapted
to a human reader. Could I practice this skill? Well, yes, but I shouldn't
have to do so. To me it is the same as if all of the sighted examinees were
told that they must use a scribe and reader as well. Most would consider
that ridiculous.

In 2007 when beginning to register for the GRE, I lobbied to take the entire
test with JAWS. Initially I was denied but ETS (Educational Testing
Services) eventually came around once I had contact with the director of
Disability Services at ETS. She has now attended a few student seminars at
the annual Washington Seminar. Things can be changed when we all come
together. I , like mary have an exam deadline, mine is the end of November.
I'll have to file for an extension but it will be well worth it if we can
make something happen.

Sorry I haven't replied in a few days, I have my list serve feedback on
summery. I'll change it back so that I can more readily reply to everyone.
I'm clearly fired up about this issue and am so appreciative of the fact
that I am not in this alone.

Thanks my brothers and sisters,

Jeannie