[humanser] statistics course

MARY CHAPPELL MTC5 at COX.NET
Mon Aug 5 02:55:09 UTC 2013

I completely concur with JD and others,  collaborative support of the
professor is critical to your success. My undergraduate statts class was
really the  most challenging course of them all. Before I even applied for
graduate school I met with my favorite prof who was the graduate advisor. I
asked him  what the challenges might be for a blind student in a graduate
psychology program and he said he could not imagine teaching stats to a
student who is blind. Stats is necessary undergrad, and in any post grad
endeavor. When the time came for me to enroll I reminded him of his
confession and he stepped up. He first secured an outstanding TA (teaching
assistant) who was committed to making all the formulas accessible,
understood the nuances of behavioral sciences and statistics, and had a keen
manner of making the untangible concrete. She knew that SPSS was not readily
accessible with JAWS and partnered with me to work through all the steps
with her acting as a reader. The partnering with that professor allowed me
to  complete that course with an A. Advocating for one's self is important.
Meeting with the professor in advance so that all workbooks and text are
made accessible to your preference is important and I would advise that you
not rely upon the Disability Service office to negotiate  on your behalf.
You need to ascertain your need;  following your gleening an understanding
of the course expectation and objectives make your accommodation requests
known to both prof and Disability Service Office.

Master's and doctoral level stats classes are much more user friendly as the
objective is more focused on making the professional an astute consumer of
research so, there is a greater focus on research design, inference and
extrapolation. Students come to understand the interpretive value of
findings, strength of methodology and study design to be able to
appropriately apply research findings in your work, whether research,
clinical, or applied. Literature review, critical comparison and contrast
are typically part of those classes.
Mary Chappell