[humanser] Giving motivational talks as a way of earning money?

Marion Gwizdala marion.gwizdala at verizon.net
Thu Aug 15 16:49:00 UTC 2013

Girardo,
	For a few years, I was doing continuing education programs based
upon the NFB publication, "When Your Best Efforts Fail" to opticians through
one of their membership organizations. I received $450 for a three-hour
presentation plus travel expenses, hotel accommodations, and a per diem of
about $30.

	I have also done similar types of presentations in which I combine
my music and my message together and did so on a love offering basis. The
most successful one I did was as a way to raise money to attend national
convention in which I received about $1200 for a 90-minute program. This was
a little unusual, because I received several gifts for $100.

	Some of the factors that are taken into consideration when paying
speaker's fees are the known quality of the presentation through references
and recordings, the expertise and profile of the person, such as someone who
has written a book or research paper, and the novelty of the information
being presented. When I market myself, I cite articles I have written and
those written about me, my profile as the president of the national
Asociation of Guide Dog Users, and the uniqueness of my presentation of
music and a message.

	I hope this information is helpful to you. Public speaking can be
very rewarding; however, the greater rward is more personal than financial.

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala