[humanser] Drivers license requirement for employment

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 27 20:09:20 UTC 2013

I have never met or read of anyone who got a job after bringing in adaptive
electronics. I have never had an employer who cared to learn about my
electronics. They may see or hear it, but they have not the time or interest
in learning what it allows me to do or what it's limitations are.  Even in
my present position, 13 years there now and not one supervisor or manager
has expressed the slightest interest.

What job interviewers are interested in are my talents and abilities. When
paperwork is brought up I generally say that I don't like it, but that I
feel much better when it is completed. Completed in a timely manner too.

Except for the very rare interviewer the details of my adaptive techniques
have been of no importance -- I've been hired in many positions in the past
30+ years and this has always been my experience in successful interviews:
keep the focus on what you have to offer, not on how you will deliver the
services.   Should they ask about your blindness treat it as you would a
question from a patient and answer the underlying question.  For example:
"I don't know how a person who can't see our  forms could do this stressful
job."  I might answer, "I take pride in completing all of my paperwork on
time and have a track record to back me up."  That track record might be
your graduate school assignments and internships or other places where you
have proven your talents.  Most interviewers will not go back to the
blindness issue, assuming that you have already mastered those roadblocks.
To bring out a voice or braille device simply does not answer their real
question which, simply is, "Can you do the job?"

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System