[humanser] ACCOMODATIONS

Shannon Cook SCook at sccb.sc.gov
Mon Dec 30 20:39:46 UTC 2013

Hello.

This will respond to several posts in one message...

I use a driver to do in-home client visits.  I am not able to mark forms ahead of time, because I am entering the information on their plan of service while in the home on a live web form.  Depending on the information given, the signature line may be in different locations on the page once printed.  I do not have enough vision to find the line myself; therefore, my driver is in charge of collating the pages as they come out of the portable printer we have to take along with the laptop to the home.  He removes the pages that come out blank.  He then shows the client where to sign using the signature guide, and lines the guide up for my signature as well. We have two copies to sign: one for the client and one for my file.  This particular driver does not overstep his bounds as the driver.  He has only agreed to help in this case; because, I have asked that he do so, to be as efficient as possible.  I feel that being able to do my job sometimes means using the resources available to me.  If I did not use the driver for this purpose, I'd have to come back to the office, print the plan, send them a copy to sign and one to keep, have them return one copy to me, and then be able to begin their services.  This could delay their service for several more weeks.  It would also be against the policy of our agency.  We are now required to print the plan and have the client sign the plan while in the initial interview.

There are many times the client will ask him a question about their services, but he always lets them know that he is the driver and I am the counselor, and they need to direct service related questions to me.

Now, I have had drivers in the past who did take over, and they did not remain my driver for very long.  In the first 2.5 years of this job, I went through 5 drivers.  Three did not work out and two left on their own due to low pay.  This driver has been my driver for almost 7 years and is a retired federal employee.

As a SC state employee, we have the benefit of using state-provided cars.  The agency that I work for also pays the driver.