[humanser] Concern about Popular Inaccessible Technology in Human Services

Alyssa Munsell alyssa53105 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 5 00:49:39 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

I spoke with a technology expert at my voc rehab today about the
accessibility of remote desktop servers, which is a system that my former
internship site was using. In my previous post about it, I was under the
impression that almost all that needed to be done was purchasing a JAWS
application called "remote access." This tech person told me that this
application wouldn't make a remote desktop server(RDS) used by companies
compatible with JAWS, and that the only action that could be taken to make
JAWS work with a RDS would be to go through and script the specific
applications in it.

Honestly, I am still struggling to fully understand how RDS technology works
and how scripting works, so this is all hard for me to grasp. However, I do
know that an increasing number of companies, especially human service ones,
are using RDS technology to maintain confidentiality. Thus, the idea that
JAWS can't work with a RDS without someone having to come and script all of
the applications is concerning to me. However, when I spoke to tech support
at Freedom Scientific and explained my situation, they told me that their
"remote access" feature as well as installing JAWS on both the host computer
and the computer I'd be using would allow JAWS to work. Thankfully, my new
internship doesn't use a RDS, but I know that they are considering it as a
future possibility. Additionally, I have been thinking about applying for a
job at the domestic violence shelter where I volunteered over the summer,
but I know they use a RDS. It is a very confidential location, obviously,
and I don't think they would be comfortable having someone they don't know
come to the shelter to script JAWS on their computers.

If anyone is familiar with RDS technology and has any suggestions, any input
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Alyssa