[humanser] Tech Question

MARY CHAPPELL MTC5 at COX.NET
Mon Nov 25 18:36:20 UTC 2013

From: humanser [mailto:humanser-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Ashley
Bramlett
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2013 11:40 AM
To: Human Services Mailing List
Subject: Re: [humanser] Tech Question

Alyssa,
I say just get a windows system since you're familiar with it; besides most
companies use windows so IMO the  skills you need for the work world  are
practiced in the windows environment. Most attachments you will get are Word

based if text format.
You will still need jaws or zoomtext when using the windows side of a mac.
So if you're going to use windows primarily anyway, then having voice over
serves no purpose.
Also voice over commands require many keys; it would be a learning curve; I
have used windows all the time.
So coming from a jaws and windows perspective, voice over seems more complex

when you have to press 3 or 4 keys instead of the simple 2 keys for jaws
commands or windows commands.

I suggest getting a laptop with a long battery life and if you have some
vision, as it sounds like you do, consider the screen resolution and size of

your monitor. Of course the larger screens may not feel as portable but on
the other hand a bigger monitor  may be clearer to see for you.
I think HP and Toshiba make laptops with large monitors.

Ashley