[humanser] Greetings

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 02:19:17 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I know I have not participated in discussion on this list for some
time now as I've been pretty busy with school and other NFB work, but
I would like to add my two cents for what it is worth.

As a student who is going into a wholistic profession (music therapy)
I see a huge need for inclusion in some sort of NFB division.  The
needs of those who wish to enter expressive art therapies, massage
therapy, recreation therapy, etc, are in very ;unique positions.  In
trying to figure out some of my own issues towards earning my degree,
I've had a significant amount of difficulty in tracking down blind
professionals in my field.  Those who have been tracked down are all
older, and have not been trained under the same standards which I am
being trained under, which are more rigorous and specific.  I also
have yet to meet any blind person, student or professional, in art
therapy, dance therapy, drama therapy, or recreation therapy.  In
fact, I don't know any professionals with disabilities in these fields
at all.  I also see that there are systemic issues at least in music
therapy with professors not understanding how to accommodate students
with disabilities in regards to the professional competencies we have
to abide by.  I can't speak for the qualifications of other expressive
therapy professions, but I wonder if these newer professions, which
were formed out of the desire to help people with disabilities by
non-disabled people who didn't think those who they served would
someday end up serving others in vulnerable populations, have this
problem in common.

This group has been a big support to me in figuring out things like
how to read client affect, how to address non-verbal communication and
silence (even though I didn't ask about it, that lengthy thread was
extremely useful to me), etc.  However, I sometimes feel like since
the group is primarily made up of psychologists, socialworkers, and
other mental health-specific professions and music therapy follows a
broader approach to treatment, some of the things I ask on here as
well as the music-specific groups are tricky for others to answer.  I
am completely in agreement that the mind, body, and spirit for those
who choose to be spiritual or religious are very connected, and I
anticipate continued membership in the Human Services Division, but I
do think forming a separate medical professionals division or one for
health care professionals which would include wholistic professions
would be a better fit for some of the issues that face people in these
fields.

For example, I really want to work in a pediatric hospital.  I love
kids, and being able to work with a wide variety of populations and be
flexible is truly exciting for me.  One of my professors isn't
convinced this will be possible for me, as I don't have the capability
of reading monitors.  I have told her I know how to take a pulse, and
could listen to breathing which is a very obvious indicator of
respiration rate as well as the person's state of alertness (they'll
sigh more or have slower breathing if they're tired), but she doesn't
seem convinced.  I'd love to see what others have done in this
situation while working in the medical setting.

I honestly don't know how many blind people are in the medical field
now, or who are in the wholistic therapies, but I think at least a
separate list should be formed for them if not a group or division.
It is quite possible that, especially for those in wholistic
professions, that people will find themselves in multiple groups and
divisions to address all their needs (E.G, Human Services, Performers
Division/Musicians Groups, and Health Care Professionals for a music
therapy student).

Just my thoughts.

--
Kaiti