[humanser] Greetings

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 02:40:41 UTC 2014

Ashley,

You bring up some interesting points.

I actually would like to start a group for health care professionals
though.  I think that it is possible that those people are out there,
and maybe just don't know where to go or who to turn to for help
brainstorming their questions.  I think that something these divisions
do very well is provide a snapshot of how many Federationists at least
are involved in various aspects of life and/or careers.  Such a group
might give us a better idea of where and how many of these people are
in the medical fields, and what problems they are facing.

I know it is so challenging when I meet a student with a disability
who wants to go to school for music therapy.  They want to ask me what
they should do.  They want to know how to handle certain problems.
There is nothing established yet for these kinds of people to have a
link between active professionals and those who show interest in
entering these fields.  I always feel bad because in those situations
all I can do is provide one perspective, and my problems can't be
assumed to be the same as what someone else might face.  I've needed
to call in professionals to help me, but the generation gap between me
and them is huge.  These are problems I'd like to change, so while I
agree with you that some things we just can't do independently like
assess whether a patient's tonsils are swollen by looking down their
throat, I do see a need for at least a group in the NFB.

I'd love to stay posted on what becomes of this.  If there is a merger
between the Human Services and Health Care in the division then that
would be fine, but if not I'd like to see about setting up a group
provided that no one else has suggested a merger out of a desire to do
the same if a merger falls through.

--
Kaiti