[humanser] responses re name change

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 01:55:47 UTC 2014

I actually like the name suggestion.  I agree that we're in the scope
of health care professionals, and many other health care professionals
also fall within the relm of human services.

Just out of curiosity though, do we know how many of us address
physical goals as well as mental ones?  Do we have an idea of how many
wholistic therapists there are in the group?

I ask this because I've looked for connections between blind music
therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapists,
speech-language pathologists, etc.  I know a small handfulof blind
music therapists who are well ahead of me in age, and no blind OTs,
art therapists, etc.  I know there was a student in my scholarship
class who was studying to be a physical therapist, and another who was
entering her freshman year of college and wants to do speech therapy,
but professionals who are blind and in these fields are really hard to
come by in my experiences.

I'm just concerned that, if some sort of dedicated resource isn't put
together so these people can readily find and connect with each other,
others will face situations like I've had where no one really knows
how to bridge the gaps in age, training, disability with professional
standards, working with the professors, the law, and other specific problems.

There are a lot of things that can be addressed in fields like mine on
this list serve, but I don't think I could realistically ask things
about gait control theory, range of motion progress documentation, or
how to address fine motor development because those kinds of goals are
not what this group deals with.  Though I'd agree that we all can be
considered health care professionals, I don't know that all the needs
of health care professionals who specifically address physical
functioning separately or in addition to mental health can be
adequately addressed here, at least as it stands now.

--
Kaiti