[humanser] counseling and social work

Dr. Mary Chappell mtc5 at cox.net
Mon Dec 29 02:25:59 UTC 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: humanser [mailto:humanser-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of JD Townsend
via humanser
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2014 7:30 PM
To: Kelsey Nicolay; humanser at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [humanser] counseling and social work

Hello:

Don't go into a field because you feel that a blind person could do it, go
into a career because you are called to it;  the blind issues will folow you
everywhere you go as it is a part of you, but you just go where your own
will sends you.

If speech & language therapy is your calling - go for that and if you
believe in yourself, it will be.

If psychotherapy calls to you, go there.

For me, I see the Human Services Division as the place for all the
therapies, even OT & PT.

Looking way back in my career, yes, even into the 70s & 60s, I found myself
searching for my best career choice.  I went into teaching, theater, Speech
Therapy, Library Science, and, at long last, to Clinical Social Work.  May
your journey be shorter than mine!

Know, too,  that a harvard Business School study showes that most
professionals change career direction at least 7 times over a lifetime.  So,
choose away, but know that there are no wrong choices, each one will enrich
you.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System