[humanser] Helpful masters degrees

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 16:10:22 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I am currently working on my bachelors degree in music therapy, but am
trying to look ahead at some masters programs so I can start getting
information together.  Here is what I know so far.

Originally, I thought the way to go would be to get my masters in
music therapy.  I thought this for several reasons; I'm getting my
bachelors in that field, so it made sense to pursue a masters in the
same thing.  However, I mentioned this to a music therapist and she
said, "Oh, so you want to teach music therapy at a university?"
Apparently, having a masters in music therapy is more indicative of
wanting to teach it than to do what I want to do.  I've decided I want
to work in a pediatric hospital and possibly on a hematology and
oncology unit to be specific, and this particular therapist advised
that if that is what I want to do then getting a masters degree in
something else might be more helpful.  She suggested counseling
initially, but said I could do well with a variety of degrees.  I'm
considering counseling, occupational therapy, something to do with
rehabilitation, or child life.  I would like to try to narrow down the
program I want before I start seeking information on specific schools,
so if anyone would have suggestions one way or the other they would be
helpful.

--
Kaiti