[humanser] volunteers

Sandy sandraburgess at msn.com
Sat Jan 25 01:03:56 UTC 2014

Ericka,

You may help with the  phone discussions.  Yes, older folks are really
frightened and come from a generation where the thoughts about disability
were not as they are today.  My mom, born 1918, said people were some times
hidden away.  My grandma, who died years back, felt uncomfortable in her
nursing home because people would see me visiting and ask if she was related
to me.  My aunt phoned my mom, explained this, and said I could not go to
see her at the facility.  Sadly, when near death, I was not permitted to be
there.

For many years I went to a support group here that is called Vision and
headed by Mass. Association for the Blind.  I was not new to blindness, but
found a place to share ideas and also maybe to learn.  We met, and group
still meets, once a month for discussions and some speakers; it is not
social.  Currently the woman running the group also runs another group that
is oriented toward putting together food baskets, making blankets, etc.  Her
idea is to do service, and the group is for blind adults.  This woman became
blind from diabetes as an adult.  Anyway, probably MAB is a good resource as
they used to have resource lists of publications and such of interest to
group leaders and members.

Best,

Sandy