[humanser] Importance of Psychology in blindness especially firststages?

JD Townsend via humanser humanser at nfbnet.org
Sun Jun 1 20:57:47 UTC 2014

Hello Gerardo ,

Apologies for the tardy response.

I have felt that blind services does need to incorporate psychotherapy,
especially in groups, to assist with the narcissistic injury or adjustment
disorder.  Towards that I developed such a group at a local blindness
rehabilitation agency.  It was a good thing, but ended when the funding
source felt that they could do the same groups with center staff, so saving
them money.  That was several years ago and they have never developed such a
group.  Several months ago one of the staff members asked if I would be
interested in doing such a group, not knowing that I had done so years ago.
I sent her my outline for a 6 session adjustment group, but never heard
back.  Still no group therapy.

At the time my local agency engaged a psychologist to evaluate each new
student's psychiatric needs and conditions.  That psychologist is no longer
consulted, leaving that assessment to a semi-retired medical doctor.

The NFB has had mixed feelings about psychology, feeling that labeling each
and every blind person as neurotic would further the impression that
blindness is an overwhelming & incapacitating disability;  which it is not.
The NFB has suggested that simply embracing the NFB philosophy will serve to
adequately deal with adjustment.  My personal belief sits between these
extreme beliefs.  The most common co-morbid condition with all medical
conditions are mental health issues.  All conditions heal and remedy more
quickly with psychotherapy.  Blindness often comes along with other physical
conditions and even when it comes alone it is an adjustment that each of us
deals with in our unique manner.  For me the NFB philosophy has been of
great importance, but my own psychotherapy continues to assist me in coping
with blindness along with my multiple other issues, SIGH.

Best of luck.  Having developed the foundations of treatment and the art of
treatment is not sufficient if you don't also develop marketing skills.
Keep moving forward with pride in your gifts and acquired abilities.

JD