[humanser] Researching Info

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Sat Jun 28 21:47:32 UTC 2014

Hello Sharri,

With so many issues I have personally faced and have seen others face in the
human services fields such as inaccessibility to electronic healthcare
records, inaccessibility of taking certifications and/or licensing exams
using screen access software, and the "drivers license" issue when seeking
employment, I have thought to myself if I knew all these issues before
attending graduate school I may have chosen another field.  Truthfully, I
now review all of these experiences and am sure I am glad I have chosen the
Social Worker path.  Not only do I love what I do professionally; I love my
role as President of this Division with the support of the Board of
Directors and its members to be a part of the change that makes the human
services professions better for blind individuals who are currently working
or are interested in the field.  If your heart and your passion is in this
field, then by all means follow that passion.  Join us in helping to make
these professions ones that blind people do not turn their back on because
of barriers that exist.  Technology will only increase and if we are not on
the forefront of making change for blind individuals in the human services
professions so they will not be left behind the epidemic of inaccessibility
will crossover into other fields and the unemployment rate for blind people
will increase over its current 70%.

With all the challenges, I have finally found what I wanted to be when I
grow up, and that took me going blind to figure it out.  There is nothing
better than following the dreams that are in your heart!

Sincerely,
Merry