[humanser] Handling Silence in Therapy

Beth Gustin bethglpc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 00:38:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

This is a wonderful question with brilliant answers.

One suggestion I have to add is I will often ask, if the silence between us
could talk, what would it say? I have found, while an odd question, it
allows them to feel separate from the silence, thus allowing them to better
express its cause. If I know the client well, I will point blank ask what
is behind the silence?

I had an entire session with an 11-year-old where we sat in complete
silence. He was mad at me because he felt I sided with his mother and not
him about something just prior to going into session. I felt like I was
talking to the wall. He literally sat in silence for the entire 50 minutes.
At the end I thanked him for allowing me to sit with him and on a hunch
apologized while acknowledging I was unsure what I was apologizing for but
knowing something I had done upset him. He walked out without a word, but
came back the next week, and we processed it.

Beth

Beth Gustin MA, NCC, LPC