[humanser] news

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 27 17:38:19 UTC 2014

Excellent question & actually a good one for the list.

The reference to the power of the white cane referred to, in my little mind,
the power of one to be a successful blind person in a sighted world that
finds blindness next to Ebola as the worst thing that can happen to a
person.  By the end of the article this psychotherapist is seeing a light at
the end of that histrionic view of blindness.

I was asked to speak to a state blindness conference in New Jersey in the
early 1980’s.  I touched on the narcissistic injury that occurs when one
becomes blind.  At least one member of the audience vigorously objected
believing that I was suggesting that blind persons are, by definition,
mentally ill.

Any reduction in our abilities is a minor narcissistic injury, like the
pulled muscle in my hit that happened yesterday while gardening.  It isn’t
much and will not last long, but at the time I felt diminished.  Likewise
blindness is an injury to an organ and to our healthy sense of self.  So, it
is an issue if we perceive it to be, as the woman in the article.  But, by
the end of the story it had host its immediate, devastating impact and she
saw the “power of the white cane” in, let
S hope, a larger framework.

JD