[humanser] Question about cane sanitation for hospital use

Ginny Duff duffg at stjoe.on.ca
Mon Aug 17 16:06:00 UTC 2015

I work in a hospital although being in psychiatry, I rarely have to worry about this issue.   I agree that the cane is essential.   Its one thing to leave it outside the room when you are just visiting but it would be a completely different matter if you were working there.

I'd be just as concerned about the tip and the handle.   If you touch something with your gloves then you have transferred anything contaminated to the handle and then once you take the gloves off your hands are in direct contact with the handle.   Of course when you fold the cane up you then touch the whole thing.

You could contact the head of infection control and let them mull that over.

What to do with the cane would be analogous to what staff do with a walker or medical equipment that is taken out of the room later.   They must wipe that equipment down with something that would work on your cane.    Alcohol swabs are a bit too small.

Ginny

Dr. V. Duff
Clinical Director, West End ACT Team,
St. Joseph's Heatlh Centre , Toronto
Staff Psychiatrist, Complex Mental Illness, CAMH
Lecturer, University of Toronto
Tel:   416.530.6000, ext 3101
FAX:   416.530.6363

Sent from my iPad