[humanser] Psychological benefits of sports

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Mon Oct 12 23:17:07 UTC 2015

Hi Ginny,
I am the past president, and current secretary of an organization called
nasa, north American squirrel association www.nasasquirrel.org which
provides recreational opportunities for persons with disabilities, elders,
disabled vets and youth to access the outdoors.  Over the past few years, we
have had a significant increase of BVI participants, with many participating
in our shooting sports including deer hunting, pheasant hunting, and range
shooting.  One of the underlying psychological benefits I have personally
noticed, is that getting individuals into the outdoors, or involved in
something they want to be involved with, creates a positive mind-set.  Once
the individual realizes that they can still enjoy things that they once used
to do before losing their sight, or being involved in something that creates
a positive self-concept/image, this opens the doors for these individuals to
realize that this is just the first step to unlocking their untapped
potential.  Of course, this is relatively true for many of our disabled
participants in general, but I have personally seen more of the BVI
participants now start to become more involved in leadership roles within
our organization, and and with any luck, they will continue to realize their
potential and pursue other involvements, and perhaps, work activity.  The
psychological benefits are essentially something that cannot be measured
quantatively, but definitely in a qualitative aspect.  If you are interested
in finding out more, feel free to email me at blinddog3 at charter.net.  I
should also add that I am a 15 year member of our 9-member State's
Disability Advisory Council in which we advise the Department of Natural
Resources on access to the outdoors on all fronts, and have been involved in
many efforts to create more opportunities for the BVI to access the
outdoors.

Hope this helps,
Steve