[humanser] Client handwriting, accessibility, and Confidentiality

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 03:25:42 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I sent a reply to Dr. Duff which unfortunately did not go to the list
for some reason, and it clarified a few things.  I am aware that
discussing disabilities and vulnerability can be powerful between a
client and therapist, and it has been for us.  I had a discussion with
him about my blindness on the first day of sessions, and I also
pointed out some ways he could help me and hhow we would work together
to start the ball rolling with creating a partnership.  He has
responded well to it and understands as well as he probably can given
his cognitive functioning what I can and can't do.  He also gets some
self-affirmation and success out of having some responsibility for the
sessions instead of being in the passive role of a client the entire
time.  He sometimes gestures by pointing because I think that's how he
sometimes communicates, but I've been sure to remind him that I can't
see where he's pointing and he'll verbalize it then.  The client sees
my cane all the time, has seen a notetaker a few times, and thinks
voiceover on my phone is hilarious.  I use my phone to play recorded
music for us to dance to, and if he hears it he thinks it's the
funniest thing.

I also told her that I am fearful of being reliant upon human readers
because I very well might not have that option.  If I am working in a
hosppital setting like I would hope to my colleagues will be busy with
their own caseloads, and it will be a far different situation than
being able to run to classmates as I am doing now.  I also would not
have anyone if I worked in private practice, which is something I am
considering doing on the side (E.G, work in a hospital 5 days a week
and see private clients in my home on Saturdays).

I love Sarah's suggestion of recording lyrics, and think that in
general it will be a good fix.  I don't know if it would work with
this particular client with his delayed processing and speech
difficulties, but it is a good idea I can use that won't typically
take a lot of time or put undue burden on the client.  It definitely
does beat typing things out, and I can always do that from the
recording if I feel like I need to see/hear the words in the context
of a lyric sheet.  All my sessions are video recorded so I do have
some of his lyrics available to listen to, but they're not clear on
the recording.