[humanser] HelpLine volunteer questions

Reyazuddin, Yasmin Yasmin.Reyazuddin at montgomerycountymd.gov
Mon Sep 14 12:51:19 UTC 2015

Hi Lisa,
Before I got a full time job with the county, I worked for the supported listening hotline. This is more than 15 years ago. The mental health association had the hotline, where people could call just to be heard. Many were regular callers, who were alone and wanted to talk. Once in a while, they would ask for additional services and we had to give them one of our local county service number. I did not use their computer, as it was not important. I had some of the phone numbers to know which one to give. There were also suaside calls which one has to handle differently. I was never alone in the room. The first week of my work I had such a call. I started asking questions which were very descriptive to repeat for the caller as well the second person to be alert of the call. My supervisor tracked the call and we were able to send help to this individual.
If this sounds like what you will be doing, then great. I know that you will be a good one. We think that we will need a lot of technology to help someone on the hotline. Once you start, you may not need all the technology. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Yasmin Reyazuddin
Aging & Disability Services
Montgomery County Government
Department of Health & Human Services
401 Hungerford Drive (3rd floor)
Rockville MD 20850
240-777-0311 (MC311)
240-777-1556 (personal)
240-777-1495 (fax)
office hours 8:30 am 5:00 pm
Languages English, Hindi, Urdu, Braille

This message may contain protected health information or other information that is confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return mail and destroy any copies of this material.

Thank you.