[humanser] Update regarding sexual assault volunteer opportunity and a question

Miranda B. knownoflove at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 22:13:01 UTC 2016

Hi again everyone,
I received further explanation as to the duties associated with this
volunteer position via an email from the volunteer coordinator this
afternoon.
As far as on-call shifts, the weekend shifts of 6am-12pm and 12pm-6pm would
be preferred, but if I were to be able to wait in the ER or use Uber/taxi,
then transportation wouldn't be as much of a concern for any of the 4-hour
shifts during the week or weekend. My VR counselor has stated that if I were
to volunteer in this capacity as part of my community service graduation
requirement, then she can assist me with transportation reimbursement.
Volunteers must have "reliable transportation" (Uber/taxi?), and can respond
to the ER in a 20 minute time frame (or my previous suggestion of waiting in
the ER during shifts?)

Duties of the volunteer (with my comments in parentheses):
provide emotional support during the exam and interviews (This doesn't
require sight),
Play with child victims with coloring (I could bring tactle pictures or
Brailled/talking crayons if necessary), cards(I have Brailled cards), or
reading books (Braille/Print picture or just Braille books?)
Get the victims a sandwich and drinks or blankets/gowns from the main area
of the ER (O&M training?)
After the exam, escort victims to the waiting room (O&M) or sometimes to
their cars (hospital security???)
Assist the nurses with cleaning the exam room (unless I'm missing something,
this shouldn't require sight?)
Identify offenders and help keep victim safe (hospital
security/suggestions?)
Paperwork (electronic format?)

I was then of course encouraged to pursue other opportunities within the
YWCA organization, including answering phones for the crisis hotline. I do
plan to pursue this opportunity as well, but I shouldn't be confined to
hiding behind a telephone all the time. Only interacting with clients via
telephone will not allow me to enhance my professional capabilities in the
field for pursuing future human/social services work.
As always, any suggestions or feedback you all can provide prior to me
responding to her latest message would be very much appreciated.
Thanks as always for your time and assistance, and have a wonderful week!

Best wishes, Miranda