[humanser] Blind counselors and body language

Ayoub Zurikat ayoub.zurikat.nfb at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 20:02:11 UTC 2017

Hello family, I hope you are all well.
I am currently doing my masters degree in clinical mental health counseling. Thing is, I have had this concern ever since I started the program, and I need advice or feedback.
So a crucial part of therapy is the therapist's ability to read and interpret client's nonverbal body language. However, being blind I cannot do that. Here are my questions.
1- has this been an issue for employment? In other words are counseling centers/employers hesitant to work with blind counselors because of this issue?
2- for those of you who are practicing therapists, how do you deal with such an issue? Are their skills that can be learned?
3- am I going to have to limit myself to do therapy with blind/disabled clients because of this?
4- do any of you know of internship sites in the Chicago area that are friendly towards blind interns?

I've been very concerned, and quite stressed because of this. Your feedback and help are so greatly appreciated.
Thank you