[humanser] (no subject)

Miranda B. knownoflove at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 19:10:54 UTC 2017

Hi Lisa,
As someone who also uses JAWS and previously interned with a refugee
resettlement agency, I would like to provide what I hope will be helpful
input. I should point out that I am switching my major to social work in
order to work specificly with this population, as a result of the
aforementioned internship experience.

First, I would suggest obtaining an OCR (optical character recognition)
software program like ABBY FineReader. You could then scan in the print
forms with a standard scanner (think all-in-one scanner/printer) and format
the digital form as needed with JAWS. You could also see if the agency has
electronic copies of their paperwork, as the forms were not originally
written and compiled by hand. Another note about forms is that many of the
forms used may have originated from the state department of social services,
and I imagine these would be available in electronic format.

Regarding the French and Arabic languages, I would not recommend a
translation program. I don't recommend translation software, as it is not
reliable. This is coming from someone who has studied Spanish and who
teaches English as a second language. One question to ask the prospective
employer is if interpreters are available for those who do not possess the
requested foreign language skills. When I did my internship in 2015, the
agency I worked with contracted with individuals (some of them refugees
themselves) who were proficient enough in English and at least one or more
of the languages spoken by our clients.

Regarding the driver's license, you may actually be asked to transport
clients as part of this position. If this is like most resettlement casework
positions, you'll be working with the resettlement teams to secure housing
for the refugees prior to their arrival, greeting refugees at the airport to
take them to their new home, meeting with them in their home for
orientations, assisting the refugees in applying for state benefits, getting
medical care, enrolling in English classes, enrolling children in school,
ETC. However, you could ask for mileage reimbursement if using a taxi or
private driver, and many locations may be accessible via public transit,
depending on your location. Keep in mind too, that many of the refugees will
be living on or near the city bus line, as they cannot immediately obtain a
driver's license. If the agency has company vehicles, you may be able to
coordinate with coworkers to have them transport you if they're headed near
where you're going, ETC. Your clients could also meet you at the office for
some appointments. Lastly, you may be able to coordinate transportation with
interpreters, if they drive.
I hope this helps, and best wishes on your job search!

Best wishes, Miranda