[humanser] Pearson Vue comes through--fortified by Academic Review

Elif Emir Öksüz filerime at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 13:07:29 UTC 2017

Congratulation’s Dr. Chappell.
I think Pearson Wue is learning that it has to provide accommodations
in the way we need.
Last year when I was about to take counseling licensure exam with
them, they said they can only provide a reader, not jaws.
Then I talked with people from this list who were able to take the
test with jaws before me.
Pearson Wue, resisted a lot. Finally NFB legislation team had to
intervene. After that they finally admitted to deliver my exam on a
jaws installed computer.
Couple of months ago, one of my friends took the same exam with jaws.
She did not have much problem. They provided her accommodations with
no resistance.
Advocacy is not only good for us, it is good for all the blind
community. If people who took the test before me, or I had accepted
the reader option, and NFB had not intervened at that time, maybe we
would be still struggling.
This positive example that Dr. Chappell shared with us should be
encouraging for all of us to advocate when needed in the future.
Because when you accept something less than you deserve, it had a
potential to become a standard for the blind community. It puts all of
us a step back.
So congratulation’s for successfully passing the exam, and advocating
for all of us