[humanser] Question about cane sanitation for hospital use

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Wed May 17 12:18:57 UTC 2017

Good morning, a staralized cane seems a bit
counterintuitive, if you wanna know the truth.
I mean, it's not like a cane would even come into
contact with patients' bodies or open wounds, anyway.
In light of hospitals/skilled nursing
opperations'  regular contact with excretia,
there doesn't seem too much necessity in
staralizing something that searches the floor.
Car

  If this is your fears about performing your job
professionally as a blind person,
rethink.  Skilled Nursing Facilities and Medical
hospitals deal daily with vomit, spit, urine and
feces.  Except for rare & exceptional
circumstances where the facility has imposed
special precautions your white cane is more
likely to meet one of the aformentioned  items
than transmit a germ. JD -----Original
Message----- From: justin williams via humanser
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:35 AM To:
'Human Services Division Mailing List' Cc: justin
williams Subject: Re: [humanser] Question about
cane sanitation for hospital use But, those
persons who don't have a dog guide may need the
cane to get around the room which is why having a
sterilized one on hand in the hospitial or
nursing home might be a good idea as wel. Justin
-----Original Message----- From: humanser
[mailto:humanser-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Shannon Cook via humanser Sent: Tuesday, February
16, 2016 11:06 AM To: Human Services Division
Mailing List <humanser at nfbnet.org> Cc: Shannon
Cook <SCook at sccb.sc.gov> Subject: Re: [humanser]
Question about cane sanitation for hospital use I
agree with this.  I think we can place too much
attention on extraneous things.  I'd do the same
as you JD. Shannon Cook, MSW Counselor, Older
Blind Program -----Original Message----- From:
humanser [mailto:humanser-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of JD Townsend via humanser Sent: Tuesday,
February 16, 2016 9:33 AM To: Human Services
Division Mailing List <humanser at nfbnet.org> Cc:
JD Townsend <43210 at bellsouth.net> Subject: Re:
[humanser] Question about cane sanitation for
hospital use Hello All, I have worked in a
medical hospital for the past 15 years at my
present hospital and for years in past decades.
My dog guide was never dis-allowed, my white cane
never questioned. If I were to have to enter a
room where gowns and shoe wraps were required I
would chose to leave my white cane in the
hallway. -----Original Message----- From: Ericka
via humanser Sent: Monday, February 15, 2016 1:15
PM To: Human Services Division Mailing List Cc:
Ericka Subject: Re: [humanser] Question about
cane sanitation for hospital use Makes sense to
me. MRSA is a big problem in nursing homes too.
You don't want to bring anything in those rooms
or take anything out. Not resistant to
antibiotics, not everyone comes out of that OK if
you know what I mean. I would feel really bad to
bring something in off the street to someone who
couldn't fight it off. Hospitals are places to
get better. I would feel incredibly guilty matter
what my reason for being in that room to make
someone else more sick or worse. Ericka Short
"What is right is not always popular; what is
popular is not always right." from my iPhone > On
Feb 14, 2016, at 9:47 AM, Carly Mihalakis via