[humanser] Suicide prevention and suicide stats for blind/v. I. youth

Peacefulwoman89 at cox.net Peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Wed Jun 13 07:33:56 UTC 2018

Hello,

I was invited to participate in a Suicide Prevention Mental Health Oversight
Action Commission meeting tomorrow. There is a state-wide effort to prevent
the second-leading cause of death among youth. Specifically, the California
state-wide 2012 strategy plan targets at-risk youth, including youth with
disabilities. Youth refers to students between seventh and twelfth grade.

I am representing our local NFB Chapter and my life has intersected with
mental health on a personal and professional level.

Is anyone on this list, within the U. S., familiar with any vital statistics
on rates of suicide and attempted suicide within the blind youth community?
If yes, please would you post the information including the authors and date
of publication?

In wellness,

Lisa Irving