[humanser] NCE By NBCC-Accommodations Experience And Study Material

Michael Abell bigdog4744 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:20:56 UTC 2018

Jimmy,
	I was just about to call you and I realized the time is different on your side of the country!  I recently sat for the NCE exam and passed.  This summative evaluation of our knowledge is a frightening enough experience without the added concern of accommodations.  Let me tell you of my experience.
	I was offered the opportunity to sit for the exam in the Spring of 2017.  I enrolled and was preparing to sit for the exam when I found that the licensing board in my state would let me apply for a temporary license if I had not sat for the exam.  This would allow me to use hours towards full license upon application for license rather than wait for scores.  I moved my exam time to the fall of 2017.  Health concerns caused me to move to the Spring of 2018.
	The NBCC was very helpful in moving me around and ensuring that I was able to sit for the exam.  I also found their office to be equally accommodating for me regarding the use of JAWS.  They worked with me and my Student Disability Services on campus to have a JAWS version of the test delivered to my campus and to then have it proctored by school staff.  This protected the integrity of the test and allowed me the ability to take the test with the accommodations I requested.
	I used my notes from classes and tests.com to prepare for the exam.  NBCC also has some products to prepare for the exam.  The material that the NBCC has is current and covers some newer material that my classes did not have time to address.  I also used a professional tutor to prepare for the exam.  Additionally, I used Howard Rosenthall's material.  With all this preparation, I still had some doubts about my performance; however,  I did not fear the accommodations.
	I have watched your messages on the list and I feel that you will do very well on your exam.  If you have any further concerns or need guidance along the way, please feel free to contact me offline.  Good luck!

Warmly,

Rev. Michael “Big Dog” Abell
MS, LAC

Helping individuals to find their eyes in the dark.

The Family Ministry Counseling and Psychotherapy Services
700 E Jefferson St. Suite 250
Phoenix, Arizona  85034
Office  (602) 253-4084 ext 1
Cell (480) 369-0805
Notice of Confidentiality: This e-mail, and any attachments, is intended only for use by the addressee(s) and may contain privileged or confidential information. Any distribution, reading, copying or use of this communication and any attachments by anyone other than the addressee, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by e-mail (
bigdog4744 at gmail.com) or telephone (602-253-4084), and permanently destroy or delete the original and any copies or printouts of this e-mail and any attachments.