[humanser] Good evening.Re: Questions about Use of Aira inCounseling Work, Disclosures about Blindness, Readers, etc.

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 19 00:14:30 UTC 2019

Here are my 2 cents worth.

As a clinical social worker with 30+ years in the field I’ve run across a little of what you question.

I use a scan and read program, Open Book or Kurzweil Reader, to read print material.

I use an agency volunteer to read documents; she has been cleared by the agency to hold any information confidential as have all of their volunteers.  I also discuss confidentiality with a volunteer to reinforce the agencies policies.

There are also scan and read programs for your smart phone.

About disclosing my blindness, working with children I will, sometimes, ask them if they know why I use a white cane, mostly to identify this as a subject they might peruse if they wish.  Most usually they don’t.

Some folks are fascinated with Braille or my “talking computer” but only very rarely will someone ask about my eye condition;  when they do they ask if I can see them and are relieved that I cannot.

Only one time has someone felt that I could not adequately treat their child due to blindness, later they fired other therapists for other non-reasons.

This is a wonderfully interesting career choice for someone who is fascinated with people and eager to continue learning as you practice.  Our NFB philosophy helps us to better understand people from a strengths viewpoint.

John D Townsend, LCSW
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (SW3765)
Daytona Beach FL   USA