[HumanSer] Questions about Driver's License as a Minimum Requirement for Employment

Sarah Meyer sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 17:49:15 UTC 2020

Greetings all,
I hope you are all well and staying healthy. I am writing because I am
beginning my job search since I am graduating with my Master's in
Clinical Mental Health Counseling this December and have come across
my first barrier through my first interview.

I interviewed for a position as a school-based therapist through a
community mental health agency the other day. The interview went well
but I received an email a few hours later from the person in HR with
whom I have been in contact stating that while the supervisor said the
interview was positive and productive, I disclosed that I am blind,
and she wanted to clarify if I would still be able to drive and
transport clients and if I had a driver's license and auto insurance.
She said these were minimum requirements for the job. I should note
that I never filled out an application for this position; the career
coach from the Ball State University Career Center with whom I have
been working connected me with this person from HR at a community
mental health agency so I reached out with my CV and was soon
contacted thereafter with an offer of an interview. I responded to the
email inquiring about my ability to transport clients and verified
that I am blind and do not drive but asked if transporting clients was
an essential function of the job. My understanding is that most of the
year, I would be meeting with students and families in an office at
the high school or virtually, except in the summer and other breaks
when they transition to a community-based approach. Therapists will
pick up students and bring them to the school, meet with them in the
community, or go to their homes. Additionally, if students meet with
the therapist after the schoolday ends, therapists will drive them
home. The supervisor said that when she was in this position, they
sometimes made arrangements with parents for transportation, but this
was not always reliable and she preferred to drive students herself as
this allowed her to maintain the most control over her schedule.

I am wondering if anyone on this list has done school-based therapy or
community-based therapy that typically involves transporting clients
as a part of the job, and if so, how you navigated this situation. I
am curious if folks still apply for jobs where a driver's license is
required. I am also curious if people have suggestions on how to
proceed with this potential employer. I thought about the possible
option of hiring a driver, but would this be acceptable to an employer
if they are concerned about confidentiality and other liability
concerns?

I look forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Best wishes,

Sarah

--
Sarah K. Meyer
Graduate Student, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
sarah.meyer55 at gmail.com
(317)402-6632

characteristic that defines you or your future. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back. Together with love,
hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.