[Journalists] Retiring blind radio journalist

Elizabeth Sammons antigone at columbus.rr.com
Thu Sep 3 23:18:21 UTC 2009

Colleagues,

I thought many of you would appreciate the article below; some of you may
even know the gentleman in question.

Best for Labor Day and beyond,

Elizabeth Sammons

BLIND RADIO PERSONALITY RETIRES AFTER 33 YEARS

BELLEVILLE, September 2, 2009 - John Weidlich, program director for Minds

Eye radio reading service, will retire at the end of this month. Blind from

birth, Weidlich has become the core of Minds Eye, providing invaluable

advice to staff and volunteers and serving as an advocate for visually

impaired listeners. For more than 33 years, he has touched the lives of

countless blind, visually impaired and print impaired individuals living in

the St. Louis metro area. Weidlich will hang up his headphones for the last

time on Sept. 30.

"I can't think of anyone who has had more curveballs thrown at him during a

career than John. He's hit a homerun every time and deserves some time to

relax," said Marjorie Williams, executive director at Minds Eye.

>From eight track tapes to digital broadcasting technology and three

volunteers to nearly 200, Weidlich has been there to witness and contribute

to the growth of Minds Eye. In addition to the hundreds of printed

publications currently broadcast by the station, Weidlich introduced

programming dedicated to blind and visually impaired listeners that is not

accessible elsewhere, such as the Blindness and Disability Hour and

Talkback, a call-in show hosted by Weidlich with topics pertaining to vision

loss. Weidlich's popularity among listeners and volunteers serves as a

testament to his impact on the local community.

"I think we [Minds Eye] have shown the community at large that people who

are blind or disabled can function capably and participate in community

activities. I like to think that when volunteers see me, a blind person,

working here, they will be educated and informed about what blind people can

do. And if our listeners take part in a community activity because of

something they hear about on our station, that further educates the general

public about blindness," said Weidlich.

Before he signs off for the last time, Weidlich will be the guest of honor

during his retirement at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows visitor's

center on Sept. 20 from 4 - 6 p.m. and accept the Alumni Merit Award at

Saint Louis University on Sept. 25 at 4 p.m. His official retirement date

is Sept. 30.

"We're losing a very special part of Minds Eye with John's retirement," said

Williams. "He taught our listeners, especially those just starting to deal

with vision loss, that blindness isn't a death sentence and gave so many a

new lease on life by sharing his voice and experiences."

Minds Eye Information Service is a nonprofit radio reading service located

on the grounds of the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows in

Belleville, Ill. The closed circuit radio station provides free radio

receivers and Internet broadcasts to people who are blind, have low vision

or are print disabled so they can listen to volunteers read newspapers,

magazines, books and retail circulars. The service reaches nearly 11,000

people in private residences, nursing homes, retirement centers and

hospitals in the St. Louis metro area. For more information, call

618-394-6444 or 314-241-3400, ext. 6444 or visit www.mindseyeradio.org

<