[Journalists] fun get together

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at charter.net
Tue Jul 13 02:50:33 UTC 2010

Hello Corbb,

I think you asked an excellent question.

I hope my answer isn't too confusing.

Since I work on our city desk which is the heart of hard news coverage at
the newspaper, I really can't engage in advocacy in terms of talking to
senators or congressmen about legislative initiatives of the Federation.
We have to sign an ethics code stating that we will not engage in politicl
campaigns, lobbying and so forth.

I know we don't view the Washington Seminar or  legislative efforts on the
state level as lobbying, but as a reporter, I have to observe from the
sidelines, so to speak.

When it comes to advocating for blind people who are not getting the
services we need here in Fort Worth, I do what I can to help. However, if it
involves talking to agency directors and so forth, I would contact our state
president or someone from the NFB that doesn't have ties to the news
business.

I hope this helps to answer your question.

Liz.