[Journalists] (no subject)

Nate Trela ntrela at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 17:31:04 UTC 2014

Hello all,

In the months since I have returned to work as a journalist, I have
been struggling with how to balance my desire to be a more active
member of the NFB while not crossing any ethical boundaries (real or
perceived).

Clearly, I see no problems with being a proud Federationist, an active
member in our local outreach and fundraising efforts and even a board
member of a local chapter or state affiliate, if the opportunities
ever arise.  It is no different than being a member of any community
orginization.

Vut there are three areas I am considering that I fear might cross a
line or two, whether in the eyes of my current employer or a future
one. (I should stres that I have not discussed these activities yet
with my employerer, and of course would before doing so, but I want to
get the pulse of my fellow blind journalists as well.)

So, in order of least to most potentially problematic

- Tweeting links to NFB campaigns or retweeting NFB material from an
account I use for work. I have done very little tweeting for the news
service I work for, in large part because most of our work is behind a
pay wall, but it is a professional account. My gut is to stay away
from policy and litigation-related tweets, but promoting things such
as Bid for Equality would be OK. I have journalist friends who tweet
about fundraisers for their kids' schools, and I would see this as no
different. But is staying away from more active promotion of NFV
activity just being too cautious?

- Helping with communication/PR efforts of local chapters or state
affiliates. While I was not working, I did some volunteer writing for
our affiliate in Colorado about problems with the waiting list for
vocational rehabilitation in this state. Just profiles of people
waiting for services, only one of which was bylined. I would think
helping to craft releases, advising on media strategy (suggesting
thoughts about visuals, suggestions on how to pitch news outlets) as
long as I am not the one pushing the story or serving as a point of
contact. But I don't know if writing for the affiliate again, say
helping with content for its blog, would be problematic.

- Last - participating more actively in policy matters. In particular
I am thinking about participating in pickets (feels like a solid no to
me) or attending Washington Seminar. The latter really intrigues me
and it does not seem like it would directly impact what I cover now
)cleantech, renewable energy and oil and gas), but I thinkk having
actively lobbied government officials would be problematic down the
road if, say, I looked at returning to a general circulation newspaper
and wanted to get back into education, government or politics
coverage.

So, thoughts?