[Journalists] Questions About Sportswriting/journalism and not giving up on career goal/dreams

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 17 18:03:51 UTC 2014

Kerri,
I know that a journalism degree is important, but writing the stories is
more important.
While you are waiting to get back into school, my advice would be to keep
writing, writing, writing -- about that which is your passion, sports.
Now, writing about the thing you love need not be reporting on the games and
the stats and such.  I'm not saying a blind person can't do that because I
think you can, but another idea occurs to me.
Have you thought about feature writing or profiles?
Let's say, for example, that you write stories about your favorite coaches
or  players.
You contact the person you want to write about, set up the interview, write
a story that makes that person come alive for the reader.  Into it, you can
weave all those stats you are so good at remembering and other intricacies
of the game.
No visual help required -- unless, of course, you might want to get an
assistant to describe the person visually, but it really isn't necessary.
Just a thought.
Otherwise, I would say to you, we all get kicked down and out sometimes.
It's not just the nature of journalism.  It's the nature of life and wanting
to be in it rather than on the sidelines.
You know this before anyone tells you:  You can't give up!
And keep the rest of us posted as your make progress.  Because you will.
And we care.
Go Kerri!  Yeah, I'm funny...

Deborah