[Journalists] Blind Professional Journalists group on Facebook

Elizabeth Campbell batescampbell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:52:42 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Check out the newly-formed Blind Professional Journalists group on Facebook.
When we had our informal gathering in Orlando, having a presence on Facebook
and other social media was one of our main discussion topics.

I definitely want to keep the email list going, but I also think we will
increase our visibility if you will by having a Facebook group. Here is a
description of the group which is a slightly edited version of our
description for the email listserve.

Ever considered working in journalism but weren't sure how blind journalists
do their job? Are you already a professional writer who needs to learn new
alternative techniques that allow you to excel at your craft? Are you a
longtime journalist who has worked in the field and want to mentor those
newly-entering journalism? Then consider joining the Blind Professional
Journalists group, where we discuss the nuts-and-bolts techniques and
self-advocacy necessary for blind journalists to achieve success. If your
goal is to write or produce nearly every day, often on deadline, this is the
group for you.

We will also discuss working with multimedia platforms since all news
organizations are emphasizing digital content.....

Also, note that Michelle Hackman, who was an NFB scholarship winner in 2011
helped create the Facebook group. She is a Yale graduate who has had two
internships at the Wall Street Journal. She will soon move to Washington,
D.C.

You can easily find the Facebook group by typing Blind Professional
Journalists in the search field.

Best

Liz