[Journalists] Hello!!!

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 20:35:15 UTC 2021

Hi Itto,

I'm looking for work and one idea is writing for a news source so I'm on
this list. I also enjoy interviewing people for stories so I think there is
a journalist inside me although I'm not officially one.

What do you mean by being an audio journalist? I know the words photo
journalist which means basically taking photos for the newspapers or blogs.
But what is an audio journalist?

To answer your questions, here is my thoughts.
For writing, it sounds like you have a great system!
Microsoft Word and Google Docs are very common applications and also
powerful ones too.
I'd stick with that; no need to know other things for word processing unless
you really want to know more.
For instance, if you use an IPAD or mac for writing a lot, you could learn
pages, the word processing application for Apple products.
If your work involves outlines and notes, you might want something to
organize your notes and sinc across devices.
You could use Evernote or OneNote for this.

For a device accessible for recording, there are several ideas.
Can you tell us a bit about what you are looking for? What quality of audio?
Do you want stereo or mono sound? Does that matter?
Do you want something stand alone? From the sound of it, it sounds like you
are using a recording feature on an IOS device because you refered to Voice
over speech and I know this is a screen reader for IOS and macs.

BTW, when I recorded notes on my ipad, I had the same problem. Voice Over
would interrupt me in the recording and the speech of voice over was
therefore in the recording. Things like notifications came up and voice over
just started talking without me even touching the touch screen buttons.

For my recordings, and I did some when I took a journalism class in college
btw, I used a stand alone digital recorder. I liked this because then my
screen reader would not interrupt things!
I used an Olympus digital recorder, the dm 520. Many of the menus speak so
its fairly accessible.  Another high quality recorder is the Eltrinix pro
recorder. You may want to check into this one as well.

For editting digital audio, I struggle to learn this too and wish you
success in trying it.

Sincerely,
Ashley